Preview: NORCECA Dominican Republic
April 18th - 20th, 2011
Next week the NORCECA beach volleyball tour hits Boca Chica, Dominican Republic. This event is the first qualifier for beach volleyball for next year's 2012 London Olympic Games. The Canadian teams competing in Boca Chica are as follows:
- Heather Bansley and Elizabeth Maloney
- Marie Lessard and Annie Martin
- Christian Redmann and Ben Saxton
- Martin Reader and Chaim Schalk
It looks like Canada is bringing out their big guns for this event. These four Canadian teams represent the teams with a lot of professional international beach volleyball experience. From this year alone the three teams that have played this NORCECA tour have 4 NORCECA medals combined. This will be the first event for Marie Lessard and Annie Martin. While their team website says that they will be at the FIVB Brazil event, they are confirmed for this NORCECA event.
Other Teams to Watch
- Martha Revuelta and Xitlali Herrera of Mexico. These two played together in Guatemala and took the silver medal in the women's tournament. Revuelta two weeks ago played with a different partner, Diana Estrada, in Guatemala and finished just shy of the podium in fourth.
- Roberto Rodriguez and Christopher Underwood of Puerto Rico. This pair played also had great showings at the first two NORCECA events finishing second and fourth respecitvely. Look for them to fight for another finish on the podium.
Live Stream Video and Brackets
As we always do, we will post our brackets for the final three rounds of competition as well as any live streaming video available from the event. Check back to Kill on Two on April 18th - 20th to see the coverage.